Hair removal can be, quite literally, a painful topic. People wince at the thought of waxing, sugaring and lasering – but nothing seems to terrify like epilating.
However, people tend not to be so concerned about its effectiveness – pulling out the hair from the root will give you roughly 3 weeks of smooth legs. It also weakens the follicle causing the hair to grow back thinner than before.
The pain can be effectively reduced using these suggestions. However, the best tip is to buy a reputable epilator. Some of the cheaper models on the market belong in a medieval torture chamber, not the bathroom. We’ve spent hours researching what we think are the best epilators out there so you can buy with confidence.
Panasonic designed the Panasonic ES-ED53 to work with the body not against it and it does slide very smoothly along contours and curves and leaves the skin like velvet to the touch.
The epilator can be used efficiently in the bath or shower and it is easy to clean and maintain. If you are new to epilating the device can be set to the gentle setting, while for regions such as the legs or for those used to epilating, the normal setting can be used.
The Panasonic ES-ED53 can be used all over the body and does a great job on its gentle setting under the arms, relatively pain-free.
- One of the quietest epilators on the market.
- Gentle Skin Guard to ensure hair removal is as pain-free as possible.
- Shaver, bikini comb and length shield attachments.
- 30 minutes epilating time.
- On fine hair, only 70% is removed the first time.
- Instructions can be confusing -especially regarding using attachments.
The Remington EP7020 has an ergonomic design and the epilator almost glides over the skin, leaving it very smooth. The epilator takes hair out fast and does not pull, more so when using it on hairs that are shorter.
The epilator works just as well as having treatment at a salon, but less pricey, and it has 40 tweezers which take hair from the root. It comes with a massaging cap that has Aloe Vera in it to soothe and protect the skin.
The Remington EP7020 features a foil shaver head if you want to shave and a great detail trimmer accessory for epilating smaller regions such as the bikini line.
- 40 rotating head tweezers to pull out hair from just 0.5mm by the root.
- The epilator can be used on even the most sensitive regions, including bikini line.
- Only has two speeds.
- Not waterproof.
Braun Silk-Epil 5 Power 5780
The Braun Silk-Epil 5 Power 5780 is one of the more comfortable epilators to hold in the hand and use. The epilator even manages to get some of the longer hairs out on first pass and does not just break them off at the root, it pulls them out.
This epilator is great for using on facial hair and the light helps you to see what you are doing. One of the biggest downsides to the epilator is that it is not waterproof, which means you cannot use it in the shower or bath.
Some people have also reported unsatisfactory results on the first pass, so the results may be dependent on the type of hair you use it on.
- Advanced grip technology makes it easy to hold and use.
- Customised settings for speed and comfort.
- Five attachments, including trimmer cap, facial cap, sensitive area cap, shaver head and efficiency cap.
- Not fully waterproof.
- Results dependant on hair it is used on.
The Panasonic ES-ED96 lasts a long time and when it runs out of battery it can be recharged in just one hour. It has two-speed settings and comes with what Panasonic calls a “gentle” cap, to make it less harsh on the skin.
The head is on a flexible pivot so it is great at catching hairs first time as it follows the contours of your legs. The device comes with attachments and multifunction epilator and it can be used wet or dry.
Body wash or soap can also be used directly on the wet discs to ensure they glide over the skin.
- 60 Degree head that spins and flows.
- Big surface area coverage.
- Cordless with great battery life.
- Epilator is not recommended for use on bikini region.
Braun Silk-Epil 9 SkinSpa 9-961v
The Braun Silk-Epil 9 SkinSpa 9-961v is one of the latest editions of epilators from Braun on the market and has a higher price tag than other epilators in their range, but it is packed with features and accessories. One feature that stands out is the exfoliating brushes, which helps in reducing the risk of ingrown hairs.
The epilator features 9 vibrating massager rollers that offer an experience that is gentler and said to be less painful as the vibration distracts the nerve endings when pulling hairs out.
Epilating with the Braun Silk-Epil 9 SkinSpa 9-961v is efficient and fast and it comes with saver head and wide power cap for using on the legs and wider regions, with the facial cap working great on the upper lip and bikini line.
- Pivoting head means it can be used all over the body.
- Epilator vibrates deliberately to help reduce pain.
- Carry pouch for storage and brush for easy cleaning.
- Higher price tag than other epilators reviewed here.
- Deliberate vibration takes some getting used to.
Braun Silk-Epil 3 3270
One of the biggest let-downs of the Braun Silk-Epil 3 3270 is that has to be plugged in when using it. There are many cordless options on the market that are just as good for the same price.
On saying this, if you can get over the fact you have to be plugged in, the epilator does come with great accessories, including the long hair trimmer and accessories are relatively easy to change. The epilator is easy to use and clean, but it is only basic. It comes with a shaver attachment, so if you cannot get along with the epilator you can go back to shaving.
The Braun Silk-Epil 3 3270 does an ok job at hair removal but there are times when it does miss a few hairs and you have to go over the same region again.
- Allows for trimming of long hair before cutting, which leads to an epilating experience that is less painful.
- Is comfortable to hold in the hand.
- Built-in light to provide a clear view of the area.
- Is one of the more noisy epilators when using it.
- It does not run on battery so it has to be plugged in when using it.
- It does not have a pouch for storage.