Many home gardeners might still swear by the power of gasoline lawn mowers, but electric options have their own perks. You don’t have to put in too much on their maintenance, while the push-button start is a solid win over the cord system. Plus, electric lawn mowers are light and allow you to careen all over your grounds without the limitation of a cord.
While it’s nice to save on storage and the costs of gasoline and oil, choosing the best electric mower can be a challenge. You have to look at the battery power, charging time, maneuverability, and several other features before making a final decision. Keep in mind that these electric options are usually for smaller-sized yard and gardens. You’ll also need to compromise a bit on the cut quality and power, but a little research will get you the best option.
Below are some of the best electric lawn mowers on the market today:
EGO 21″ Lithium-Ion Cordless S Lawn Mower – Best Value
EGO lawn mower might not have the best of everything, but it will give you a lot of battery time for the money. Plus, the power output is enough to rival its gasoline counterparts.
- Battery lasts for quite some time—around one hour
- Requires only 40 minutes to fully recharge
- Easy operation with self-propulsion technology
- Battery weighs six pounds, which is a bit on the heavy side
- Difficult to locate and reach a service center in the case of any problem
- Comes with just one battery, no spare
GreenWorks Corded Electric Lawn Mower 25022 – Best Budget Pick
Electric mowers are usually less expensive options than gasoline ones. This GreenWorks offer is no different. It gives you a wide cutting width and several other features within a very reasonable price. The 12-amp motor should be powerful enough for all kinds of mowing.
- Adjustable to seven height levels
- Folding handles for easier storage
- Warranty of four years
- Cord limits reach
- Might need to invest in an extension cord
- Nearby outlet is a necessity
BLACK+DECKER 3-in-1 Electric Lawn Mower BESTA512CM – Best for Small Yards
If you have just a small yard to maintain, BLACK+DECKER is a high-quality trimmer option that can do the job easily. It’s good for those tight spots and small garden areas. Since this mower weighs just around seven pounds, it’s also easy to transport and store.
- Innovative design
- Battery pack system provides ease and convenience
- Lightweight and compact, making for easy storage
- Doesn’t cut grass quite so evenly
- Difficult to attach mower deck and trimmer together
- Narrow cutting width
- Looks like a toy mower
Earthwise 50520 20-Inch 12-Amp Corded Electric Lawn Mower – Best Option for High Power
If you’re looking for power similar to a gasoline mower, a corded electric one is your next best choice. Earthwise 50520 has the ability to cut grass of all types, with a wide range of cutting heights. The larger rear wheels make for easy maneuvering while the cord eliminates the need for charging or changing batteries. You also get the usual features here, such as a rear bag, side discharge option, and a mulching system
- Large cutting width – about 20 inches
- Adjustable handle for comfort
- Slim and compact frame plus folding handles make for easy storage
- Core secured with retention hook
- Lightweight and user-friendly
- Cord might require a bit of maneuvering skill
- It’s a necessity to have an outlet nearby
- Negative experiences with customer service
- Not quite as powerful as heavier mowers
Ryobi Brushless Lithium-Ion Cordless Battery Self Propelled Lawn Mower – Best for Versatility
This Ryobi mower gives you versatility above and beyond most other electric lawn mowers. It allows you to cut at several different heights, while the battery is also suitable for other devices. This mower also has a very wide cutting width, which ultimately saves on battery power.
- Seven cutting position
- Comes with interchangeable battery
- Offers a five-year limited warranty
- 20-inch cutting width
- Battery runtime is only average
- Only one battery is included in the package, which limits diversity
- Battery only lasts for about 45 minutes per charge
Sun Joe MJ401E Electric Lawn Mower – Our BEST Pick
You’ll find it a challenge to get better hardware than this Sun Joe in a similar price range. The mower has a design that shows practicality and function. However, you should still use it regularly in order to avoid giving this device the challenge of extra-long grass.
- A quality motor within a reasonable price range
- Comes with grass bag for easy cleanup
- Suitable only for grounds or yards up to a quarter acre due to the cord
- Might require an extension cord for larger yards
Features to Look Out for
When you’re searching for the best electric lawn mower, here are a few specific features to consider:
The number one reason why people get an electric lawn mower is that they need something to maintain their small yard. This means that they also have limited storage space. An electric mower wouldn’t need you to store gasoline or oil for its operation. However, you also have to make sure that the device itself is compact and easy to store. Folding handles and a small body are the two main contributing aspects for this advantage.
While electric mowers are less powerful than gasoline options, as a rule, they can still pack a good punch. If you want more power from your choice, you may want to invest in a corded model.
Ease of Use
Finally, you want your electric lawn mower as easy to operate as possible. Many elderly folks choose this option for the lightweight experience, so we don’t want to make things more difficult for them. A one-touch starting is best, while the maneuverability should also be simple.